Each year, the Teachers Service Commission (TSC) advertises employment opportunities for primary school teachers known as P1 teachers and post-primary school tutors through print media. This allows the training of teachers who are unemployed.
P1 teacher employment takes time, but the good thing is that ultimately one will secure a job. Applicants for the primary post must be holders of a P1 certificate. In addition, be a Kenyan citizen aged 44 years and below.
Just like the case of secondary teacher recruitment, length of stay and P1 qualifications also play a vital role in the employment of P1 teachers. Apart from the length of stay since completion of teaching course, the age bracket of an individual has some weight in one’s employment.
During the selection day, one should carry the following original documents to the sub-county selection panel;
- National Identity card
- CPE/KCPE certificate (including first attempt certificate if one repeated exam)
- PTE certificate
- School/college leaving certificates.
The sub-county selection panel shall include the following;
- Sub-County Director – Chairperson
- TSC Sub-County Human Resource Officer – Secretary
- All zonal Curriculum Support Officer – Members
Where applicants tie in scores, the panel is advised to apply the criteria below in the order given:
- Age of the applicant (44-45 years) with previous teaching experience of three years and had not previously been employed by the Commission
- Give preference to applicants with the highest grade obtained in Teaching Practice
- Use quality of the academic KCSE certificates
- Give priority to applicants who graduated earlier
- Give preference to applicants who the Commission had not previously employed.
Keep in mind that the selection process is transparent and only a qualified candidate carries the day. However, if one is not satisfied with the process, there is a mechanism to register your dissatisfaction.
Any candidate who is dissatisfied with the whole exercise of employment should complain immediately in writing to the TSC county director and a copy sent to TSC headquarters within not more than seven days after the selection exercise.
TSC county director will analyze such complaints and submit a report to TSC headquarters with necessary recommendations.